“Foster sustainable management of natural resources &enhance Lebanon’s resilience to climate change”
Overall strategic objective: Foster sustainable management of natural resources &enhance Lebanon’s resilience to climate change
- Forest Fires Management:Reduce forest fire risk in Lebanon
- Develop and implement forest fire management plan including:
- Conduct risk assessment and mapping.
- Assess resources, needs and gaps.
- Conduct stakeholders’ analysis.
- Develop a strategic plan in participatory approach with local community stakeholders’.
- Contribute to the provision of tools and equipment for forest fire management.
- Build local capacities on forest fire management.
- Monitor and evaluate the plans
- Implement training for concerned stakeholders (public officials and local groups) on:
- Establishing local forest fire management committees and proper task distribution between different stakeholders.
- Introduction to the essential forest fire manual tools and personal protection equipment.
- Proper use of manual tools and essential machinery such as fire trucks.
- Pre-fire management to reduce the risk of fire incidents.
- Initial intervention/attack when a forest (or scrubland) fire is detected.
- Coordination of fire control efforts on the ground when more than one agency is involved.
- Safety considerations during fire management.
- Biodiversity conservation: Conserve and sustainably manage Lebanon’s forest ecosystems
- Restoration: Participate actively in reaching a state of land degradation neutrality
- Contribute to the upgrade reforestation skills and knowhow at the national level in collaboration with various international and local experts in the field.
- Promoting holistic restoration approach to increase the resiliency of eco-systems.
- Develop and implement forest and landscapes restoration projects that:
- Prioritize soil conservation and water regulation.
- Use native species.
- Conserve and support biodiversity.
- Promote diversity and heterogeneity at landscape scale.
- Design reforestation activities according to forest-fire prevention principles.
- Promote forest multi-functionality and productivity to strike a balance between traditional goods and servicesand new values demanded by society
- Produce more than 20 native species through its own six large and small nurseries across Lebanon using new techniques aiming at producing better quality of seedlings more resistant for out-planting conditions:
- Ramlieh (Mount Lebanon): capacity of 100,000 seedlings/year.
- Ammatour (Mount Lebanon): capacity of 300,000 seedlings/year.
- Andket (North Lebanon): capacity of 100,000 seedlings/year.
- JdeidetChouf (Mount Lebanon): capacity of 1 million seedlings/year.
- Mimes (South Lebanon): capacity of 50,000 seedlings/year.
- Ras el Maten (Mount Lebanon): capacity of 25,000 seedlings/year.
- Develop and implement clear guidelines for participatory reforestation and restoration projects with local authorities and stakeholders including:
- Conducting field assessment.
- Building local capacities on out-planting.
- Preparation of sites and seedlings.
- Monitoring and evaluation.
- Sustainable Development and Ecotourism: Improve the livelihood of local communities while conserving the natural and cultural heritage
- Resilient communities: Build local communities resilience to face natural and man-made hazards
- Assess and map exiting risks and hazards at the local community level and identify its impact at social, health, economic and environment level.
- Identify local stakeholders and resources related to disaster risk reduction.
- Build local capacities on DRR and DRM.
- Assist the local community to develop disasters response plans and contingency plans for identified risks.
- Raising public awareness about disasters mitigation, prevention, preparedness, response and recovery.
- Build the knowledge of the public and raise awareness on environmental issues
- Increase the environmental supporter base on nature conservation issues
- Push towards the implementation of the national forest strategy
- Contribute to the national efforts towards the amendment of the forest fire law
a. Create a positive attitude towards the environment among young generations
Profile: Offering awareness workshops for local communities so they have a better understanding of their natural heritage and work on its preservation.
Work with young school children to increase their love for nature and instill a spirit of responsibility and ownership within them towards their environment. AFDC uses theatrical displays, games, mascots, artistic expression and scientific experiments to achieve that. Additionally, AFDC trained school children on paper recycling, seed planting, reducing consumption of resources, composting, among many others topics.
Training of academic personnel in schools to achieve higher environmental standards within their institution.
Offering awareness sessions and trainings tailored to university students on environmental concerns, leadership and presentation skills, efficient communication, proposal writing and reporting.
Eco and Rural Tourism
- Rehabilitate and establish infrastructure for eco-tourism activities.
- Conduct training activities for volunteers and entities about planning for eco-tourism, carrying capacity assessment, mountain guiding techniques, teambuilding, and high ropes activities such as rappelling and sky walking.
- Support local communities and AFDC volunteer units to restore eco and rural sites for eco-tourism activities.
- Develop and disseminate informativematerial for eco and rural tourism.
a. Position AFDC as a major reference in conservation and sustainable development
b. Improve internal and public knowledge about best practices in AFDC working areas mainly the forestry sector